Monday, September 22, 2008

Hot off the press

I consider these to be THE best Anzac biscuits in the world. Another recipe stolen from Mum - it doesn't have coconut in it which I like. I made this batch to give to my neighbour who brought me round a large bowl of mushrooms from his stash a few weeks ago. (Yes, it's taken me this long.... but I didn't want to return an empty bowl.)

Heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius (or 180 if your oven is not fan-forced).
Melt together 6 ozs of butter and 1 tsp of golden syrup (or substitute maple if you are not in Australia).
Mix 1 tsp of bi-carb with 2 tbl boiling water. Add to butter mixture.
Combine in a large bowl: 2 cups of rolled oats, 6 ozs of sugar, a pinch of salt and 4 oz of plain/all purpose flour.
Make a well in the centre and add the butter/sugar/bi-carbmix. Blend thoroughly.
Using a teaspoon, roll the mixture into balls and place on baking paper on a tray. You can also just drop them but I find that rolling them gives nice uniform biscuits and I am a bit of a nerd...
Bake for about 20 mins or until golden brown and yummy. I find it really depends on your individual oven so you need to keep an eye out the first time you make them and then note the time.


2 comments:

Liesl said...

Yummo - I love Anzacs and have been looking for a coconut-free version that I can feed to the little one who has an allergy. I'm going to give this a go .... and might even try it with the maple syrup!

A said...

Yeah, our Moo is a milk and egg free babe so I feel your pain in finding good recipes low in allergens!