Thursday, June 19, 2008

Chocolate, date and apricot balls

I modified this recipe from one in my baby and toddler cookbook. Because I have changed it so much I think I can call it mine.... (?) It's popular with adults and kids alike. Very sweet but not as naughty as a chocolate bar!

1 cup of dates, roughly chopped (and pitted if they have pips!)
1 cup of dried fruit (I like apricots but you could use pears, sultanas etc or a combination)
3 tablespoons of seeds or nuts (e.g. sunflower, pepitas, walnuts, pecans)
1 tablespoon of desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (not drinking chocolate)

Soak the dates in some boiling water for 10 mins or so. Drain keeping the liquid aside. Throw all the ingredients into your food processor and whiz away until you are left with a sticky mess paste. If the fruit is very dry you might need to add some of the water that you soaked the dates in to get the right consistency.
Roll the mix into little balls and roll in dessicated coconut.
Hide them in the back of the fridge away from hungry husbands.

0 comments: